Discover the history of Slovenia whilst visiting a number of beautiful castles in the area. Ride along scenic paths and through forests, and sample the fantastic local wines. This short break is ideal for those who wish to explore the area but don’t have time for the full week-long trail.
Depending on the time of your arrival, you can stop to see the pearl of the area – Predjama Castle – during your transfer from the airport. This castle has been built into the mouth of a cave. Reaching your accommodation at Bac where you’ll have a delicious dinner.
After breakfast you are transferred back to the horses and follow a path through beautiful natural landscapes to reach the castle of Kalec, where you stop for a break in the shade of some trees. Continue riding to the village of Knezak where you tie your horses and take lunch in a pub. After lunch, ride uphill for views of the area before returning to Sembije where you leave the horses. Drinks and dinner in Bac.
Riding time: 7-8 hours
Day Three :
Follow a path alongside a magnificent natural rock wall, through Kilovce village and onto the village of Prem, which is famous for its well preserved medieval castle. There is time to stop and take photos before continuing your ride through the old village of Smrje and onto the tourist farm Bubec. Stop for lunch and rest in the shade before riding across the Reka river and past an enchanting mill en-route back to Sembije.
Riding time: 7-8 hours
Ride along pleasant macadam paths to a bar situated on the Crne Njive plateau and stop for a drink. Continue along forest paths with breathtaking views of the valley. Lunch is taken in a hut in the middle of the forest and unspoilt nature. Here it is possible to visit the remains of Italian caverns before riding your descent towards Sembije over the peaks of the Milonja hills – in clear weather it is possible to see the Adriatic Sea.
Riding time: 6-7 hours
After breakfast you are transferred back to the airport for your flight home.
Food and Accomodation
You will be staying at the Tourist Farm ‘Pri Požarju’ in Bač. There are six twin rooms available with private bathroom and private entrance. All rooms are clean and comfortable.
Breakfast and dinner are available at the farm. Lunch is available at the local pubs and restaurants in the surroundings. There you will be able to enjoy delicious homemade food and regional wine. Most of the meals include meat, but it is also possible to arrange vegetarian options.
- Minimum group size: 2
- Maximum group size: 8
- Ability description: Confident Intermediate to Experienced riders. You should be capable at all paces on a forward going horse.
- Type of ride: Trail riding, returning to the same place each night
- Total riding time: Three full days of riding (6-8 hours per day. There may be time for a ride on arrival day
- Departure dates: On demand
- Type of horses: Quarter Horses, Warmbloods, Icelandic Horses.
- Nature of horses: Relaxed and calm but forward-going
- Height of horses: 14 – 16hh.
- Weight limit: 100kg / 15 stone 10 lbs
- Tack type: English style saddles for the Icelandic horses or Western saddles for the Quarter Horses and Warmbloods
- Languages: English, Slovenian, Croatian, Italian.
- Health requirements: General good fitness recommended.
- Age limit: Riders need to be 16 years or older to join the trail programmes.
- Tuition: No
- Included: Accommodation, meals, soft drinks with meals, horse riding, transportation of luggage from site to site.
- Not included: Flights, insurance, transfers, entrance fees to non-riding sites, extra drinks, extra activities.